The PELICAN Study
PEer-Led o2 Info-line for patients and CAregivers (PELICAN)
The PELICAN study tests whether an O2 infoline for patients and caregivers will increase supplemental oxygen adherence and improve health in people with COPD.
There are 3 interventions that save lives in people with COPD...
- Supplemental oxygen for resting hypoxemia
- Intensive smoking cessation interventions
- Non-invasive ventilation for COPD exacerbations
…but adherence to supplemental oxygen can be low.
- “I’m embarrassed to use my oxygen tank.”
- “I don’t think it works—I still get short of breath.”
- “The doctor sends you home on O2, you don’t know you’ll be on it the rest of your life.”