Giving from Your Retirement Plan
You can name the COPD Foundation as a beneficiary of your qualified retirement plan (IRA, 403(b), 401(k), etc.), and still continue to draw from your retirement funds during your lifetime. All it takes is contacting the plan administrator and changing the plan’s beneficiary form.
Retirement funds are subject to heavier taxes then your other assets are when your estate is distributed, but are tax free when donated to charity. You can donate the heavily taxed retirement funds to the COPD Foundation while leaving lighter taxed funds and property to your family and heirs.
How it Works
- Name the COPD Foundation as the beneficiary of your IRA, 401(k), or other qualified retirement plan
- Pass the balance of your retirement funds to the COPD Foundation by contacting your plan administrator
- Continue to make regular lifetime withdraws
- Maintain the ability to change beneficiaries if you or your family's needs change during your lifetime
- Leave heavily taxed retirement funds to charity while passing on more favorably taxed assets and property to your family and heirs